Best Bed Frame for Heavier People-2022 Product Reviews
Many people think a good night’s sleep comes from a good mattress. For people who are heavier, it is also important to find the right bed frame that can effectively support both your weight and the weight of the mattress, without causing anxiety about a possible malfunction or disturbing your sleep by creaking if you move around. Bed frames for heavy people come in a variety of sizes and designs. Here we have shortlisted 7 top models, focusing in on strong and sturdy frames with good brand reputation. We have also included our suggestions for how to choose the best bed frame for an overweight person and what to consider before buying. Following our tips, you are sure to find a high quality frame that is just right for your needs.
Top Platform Beds Comparison Chart
|Zinus Demetric 14 Inch Elite SmartBase Mattress Foundation||59.5 pounds||80 x 76 x 14 inches||A+|
|Classic Brands Hercules Heavy-Duty 14-Inch||47 pounds||40 x 38 x 7 inches||A+|
|Olee Sleep 14 Inch Heavy Duty Steel Slat||44.3 pounds||76.5 x 55.5 x 15 inches||A|
|MALOUF Structures Heavy Duty||28.9 pounds||71 x 8.5 x 3 inches||A|
|Mellow Rocky Base E 14" Platform Bed, Twin, Black||49.8 pounds||79.9 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches||A-|
7 Best Selling Bed Frames Reviews
#1. ZinusDemetric 14″ Elite SmartBase Mattress Foundation
This Demetric Elite SmartBase frame from Zinus is 100% steel and has a 500 lb capacity. If you like to use under-the-bed space as storage to save space in your bedroom, this could be the frame for you. The 14 inches off the floor allows plenty of space to store luggage, exercise equipment, extra comforters and pillows, etc. This makes a great choice if you have a small bedroom. Even if you opt for the King Size, assembling this bed frame is a piece of cake since you just have to snap each leg in place.
- Weighs 53.4 lbs with 80 x 76 x 14″ product dimension
- Designed to hold up to 500 lbs, perfect to hold a heavy single
- Made from heavy-duty steel construction and wires
- 14″ height off the ground makes it easier for you to get in and out of the bed
- Provides 13″ clearance underneath that functions as under-the-bed storage
- Consists of 18 vertical slats and 8 horizontal slats made from steel to prevent your mattress from sagging
For a bed frame that costs less than $200, you get great value for the price. The SmartBase frame is very compact and easy to fold up when necessary. This is a very handy bed frame for enjoying outdoor activities such as camping. We especially like the extra storage area it offers underneath.
- Provides a solid support
- Ideal for heavy and tall people
- Quick and easy to assemble in just a few minutes
- Specially engineered to be as silent as possible
- Built with recessed legs to ensure your safety
- Doesn’t include a headboard which requires SmartBase headboard brackets for installation
- Not compatible with any footboard
#2. Classic Brands Hercules 14" Platform Metal Bed Frame
If you want a heavy-duty bed frame construction that can last for at least 10 years, check this out. This Hercules bed frame designed and manufactured by Classic Brands comes in full metal construction. As its name suggests, it can hold over a thousand pounds and still provide superior support. Behind its sleek and modern look is a resilient platform bed frame that has a rigid surface. Whether you use memory foam, latex, innerspring, or a hybrid mattress, this frame remains solid and durable. It is very easy to assemble without requiring any tools.
- Weighs 47 lbs with 80 x 76 x 14″ product dimension
- Leg caps are designed to protect your floor from scratches
- Designed to hold up to 4,000 lbs, perfect to hold a heavy single or couple
- Made from heavy-duty steel construction and wires
- 14″ height off the ground makes it easier for you to get in and out of bed
- Provides 13″ clearance underneath as a spacious under-bed storage
- Consists of 16 thick horizontal slats and 28 thin vertical slats made from steel to prevent your mattress from sagging
Compatible with any detachable headboard, this one is sure a nice deal. It has a lot of handy features that can prolong the mattress lifespan even without using a box spring. Since it’s ready to be assembled without tools, nearly anyone can put it together.
- Arrives in a compact box
- Easy to assemble without using any tools
- Protects your floor from marks or scratches
- Prevents your mattress from sagging
- Supports mattresses without requiring a box spring
- The brackets for attaching its headboard are sold separately
- Tends to move a lot and make noise
#3. Olee Sleep 14" Heavy Duty Steel Frame
For a budget-friendly bed frame, this is specially designed with heavy duty steel construction. You can rely on its durability and strength to support you and your mattress. Since it has high under-the-bed clearance, it is a perfect option for small bedrooms to save space. You can use its under-the-bed storage to keep all your out-of-season clothes. It comes with sturdy slats that hold your mattress in place and prevent it from sliding.
- Weighs 45.2 lbs with 76.5 x 55.5 x 14″ outer dimension and 74.5 x 53.5″ inner dimension
- 2 x 0.9 x 0.5″ slat dimension with 7.1″ between slats
- Designed to hold up to 1,200 lbs
- Made from heavy duty thick steel construction
- 14″ height off the ground makes it easier for you to get in and out of bed
- Provides 13″ clearance underneath as an under-bed storage
- Consists of 20 steel horizontal slats to prevent your mattress from sagging
This bed frame is perfect for those don’t have tools at home since it arrives with all its needed assembly tools. Aside from being offered below $100, it doesn’t even require a box spring which makes it a very practical option. Most importantly, it’s also a comfortable and stable bed frame for heavy people.
- Provides a strong steel construction
- Hassle-free to assemble
- One of the best non-squeaky beds from Olee Sleep
- Built with 6 different innovations to enhance its performance
- Lacks enough support to prevent it from breaking down
- Requires plywood or a Bunkie board to protect memory foam mattresses
#4. MALOUF Structures 3" Heavy Duty Adjustable Metal Bed Frame
This 7-legged bed frame has a modern and low profile design that you can easily adjust from Twin to Queen Size. Due to its flexibility, it is one of the most affordable universal frames. Since it contains fewer parts, you can assemble it in less than 10 minutes. You can test it out right away and see just how sturdy its extra wide rollers and center support glide are.
- Weighs 28.9 lbs with 71 x 8.5 x 3″ product dimension
- 4 pieces of 2.5″ extra-wide rollers and center support glide to help you move the frame with ease
- 2 of its rollers lock for added stability
- 5″ center support bar gives extra strength
- Patented TRI-SUPPORT braces support rails for extra durability
- Universal headboard brackets fit most headboard configurations
- Takes less than 10 minutes to assemble without tools
- Easy to move
- Easy to adjust from Twin to Queen Size
- Includes universal headboard brackets
- Lacks durability and stability
- Not suitable for memory foam and latex mattresses without a box spring
#5. Kings Brand Furniture 7.5" Adjustable Metal Bed Frame
This Kings Brand Furniture bed frame has 7 legs. If you’re looking for a more portable frame that you can easily move around, this is it. It has 4 wheels to enhance its mobility. It comes with 2 long, thick metal rails attached to the sides to provide a solid mattress foundation. You can even adjust it to different sizes for Twin to Queen Size mattresses. You won’t need to buy a new frame if you choose to upgrade to a new mattress size.
- Weighs 25 lbs with 70 x 60 x 7.5″ product dimension
- Designed as an adjustable bed frame that is made from full metal
- Stands a few inches off the floor with 7 legs and a sturdy center support
- 4 wheels at the corners of the frame make it easier to move around
- Wheel locks keep the frame in place
- Very affordable and portable
- Doesn’t require headboard brackets
- Provides a strong and versatile mattress support
- Compatible with a Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, and Queen mattresses
- Easy to move around with wheels
- Not that stable or comfortable
- Poses injury risk for small children
- Requires a box spring for memory foam and latex mattresses
#6. Mellow 14" Rocky Base E Platform Bed Frame
Do you want a solid bed frame that you can rely on even without using a box spring? This Rocky Base E frame from Mellow has 100% metal frame construction to satisfy your needs. Rocky E provides the ultimate mattress support system with its patented wide slats that are made from pure steel. It also includes center support so you don’t have to worry about sinking in the middle.
- Weighs 49.8 lbs with 75 x 39 x 14″ product dimension
- 6″ clearance provides under-the-bed storage for maximizing space in the bedroom
- Heavy duty mattress foundation consists of 7 steel legs with 2.4″ height from the floor
- Patented 100% steel slats are 3.86″ wide to prevent your mattress from sagging and losing its shape
- Ideal for small bedrooms
- Provides extra storage underneath the frame
- Protects your mattress from sagging and increases its lifespan
- Prevents your mattress from losing its shape
- All legs are thick and solid
- The mattress can slip and slide out
- May leave marks and scratches on wood floors
- Some headboard holes don’t fit each other
#7. Mantua 14" Premium Platform Base
Designed with heavy duty pillars but portable construction, this Mantua bed frame provides strong support. Great for heavy-duty use, you don’t even need any tools to assemble it. This is certainly the best bed frame for heavy people who don't want to use a box spring. Moreover, it offers extra under-the-bed storage to maximize space.
- Weighs 39 lbs with 41 x 27.5 x 14″ product dimension
- Designed to hold up to 2,000 lbs per base and 4,000 lbs as a whole to provide long-term support
- Consists of 12 legs to guarantee a solid support system especially in the middle
- Silver color coating gives it a touch of elegance
- Easy to assemble, snap into place, foldable if needed for transport
- Very lightweight and hassle-free to move
- Doesn’t require a box spring
- Provides spacious under-the-bed storage
- May tend to make noise
- Your mattress may slide off its frame
Things to Consider Before Buying
To find the best bed frame for a heavy person, there are some things that you should consider before buying to save time on your search and help you avoid wasting money on the wrong product. Here's what to include on your checklist.
Depending on the size of mattress you want to buy or already have, the size of the frame should be precise. Bed frames that are too big can make your mattress move every time you move. On the other hand, too small bed frames can squeeze your mattress and damage it.
As bed frames’ sizes differs, height may differ too. Apparently, this is one of the most common factors that customers tend to overlook when shopping for a bed frame. Most customers only focus on the surface area size but overlook the height. The height can be important since it will impact where your mattress sits and how easy it is to get into bed. It can also either increase or decrease the amount of space for storage.
- Under-the-bed Storage
In connection with the bed frame’s height, you can benefit from additional storage space if it is high enough. The higher your frame is from the ground, the more under-the-bed space you have for storing your extra sheets, pillows, blankets, toiletries, etc.
- Weight Capacity
The weight capacity is also an important factor to consider when looking for a bed frame for a heavy person. Clearly, you need a bed frame that can safely handle your weight and that of your mattress. In case you share your bed with someone or even your pet, add up the total weight. This way, you can match it with the frame’s weight capacity. If your total weight is greater than its indicated capacity, it can break down sooner or be a safety risk.
If you’re looking for strong bed frames that can withstand years of heavy duty use, check the materials used. The best and strongest models typically have steel construction. Some may be available with thin round steel rods, but you might want to look for square rods. Square rods are harder to bend compared to round rods so they're ideal for more durable bed frames.
Of course, the quality of materials is often connected with the price. Don’t expect to buy a sturdy bed frame to handle a heavy user for a cheap price.
Our Guide for the Finding the Best Bed Frame for Heavy People
- Consider the Type of Mattress You Want to Use
As there are different types of bed frames, there are also different types of mattresses out. Whether you already have one or about to buy one, you have to consider it before you get a frame. Mattresses can be made from memory foam, latex, innerspring, or other materials. In most cases, these materials are combined to create a finer mattress that offers better support. These are called hybrid mattresses that provide the best of both worlds between memory foam and latex.
However, there are types of mattresses that don’t match with other bed frames. This includes memory foam and latex mattresses that don’t do well with slatted bed frames since they sag easily.
- Count the Number of Slats and the Distance Between Them
Not all slatted bed frames have the same number of slats. Generally, the more slats a slatted bed frame has the better since it will provide more support to your mattress. At the same time, slats will allow it to breathe better compared with other frames.
The spaces in between the slats will allow air to pass through the mattress and get rid of moisture. The slats can help it prevent the development of molds.
- Look for a Frame that is Easy to Assemble
You shouldn’t overlook the assembly. Some bed frames may come with construction or be missing parts. Some holes don’t fit perfectly which causes frustration on the customers’ side.
If you want to make your life easier, be sure that it is easy to assemble. The less time you spend working on it the better so you can enjoy a good night's sleep as soon as possible.
- Check for Some Extra Legs
Since your bed frame will be handling a lot of weight, it is better to find one with extra legs. These extra legs will come in handy to handle heavy people, especially in the middle part of the bed. The heavier the user, the more support the bed frame should have.
Finding the right bed frame should not be that hard. Even though there are various types of bed frames to choose from, this article should help you know the basics. Since not all bed frames are of the same quality, you need to be a wise customer. Keep an eye on the price without forgetting about the quality.
Depending on your needs, you may also look for additional or exclusive features that bedding companies offer. These features should not only increase its durability but also keep it noise-free.